Email marketing campaigns are one of the best ways to take your business to the next level. If you are new to online ventures, then email marketing is a primary need for your success in this world of the internet. You can quickly increase traffic on your website and grow your brand value. It works as an extraordinary channel that reaches a targeted audience within seconds. So, here in this article, we will share some tips about measuring email marketing campaigns’ effectiveness. Let’s start!
1) Click Through Rate (CTR)
This is the main thing that plays a critical role in determining the success or failure of an email campaign. CTR is nothing but several click-throughs that occur per every 100 emails sent out. To increase CTR, you need to:
- a) In the subject line, put a call-to-action phrase that is easy and simple to understand. Make sure it conveys the message clearly without any confusion. For example, ‘Check out our new summer collection’ instead of ‘Have a look at our new collection.’
- b) Don’t send promotional emails frequently. According to experts sending promotional emails more than three times a week will decrease your CTR drastically.
- c) Use trusted sender lists instead of purchased lists because buying email lists can lead you into spam folders even with a high deliverability rate (can be as low as 50%).
- d) Include an option for unsubscribe link that allows users to remove their email address from your list. So, increase your chances of getting a high CTR by following these simple steps.
2) Open Rate
The percentage of recipients who open your email is known as the open rate. The number of people who look at your email shows a positive sign for future marketing campaigns. So, to increase open rates, you need to keep some points in mind –
- a) Try to personalize emails as much as possible because it increases trust among readers, and they start considering your brand more seriously.
- b) Include an image/logo on top of the left corner because images and logos grab attention quickly than texts do.
- c) Use catchy subject lines that are creative with the proper format to attract users and make them drop their mouse pointer.
- d) Avoid making your email too long; otherwise, it can lose its effectiveness. Instead, keep them short and simple but attractive enough to grab the user’s attention.
- e) Make sure you have opted-in for the Double Opt-In process instead of the single opt-in because this is the only way to keep away spammers from using your brand name to send promotional emails and do some nasty work behind your back.
This metric shows how many people are clicking on certain links added in an email. These are among the most effective email marketing campaigns as well. So, if a person receives an email with three call-to-action phrases, that number reflects the total click-throughs for all those combined links. Now, follow these steps to increase click-through rates –
- a) Add proper formatting for buttons and links. Don’t just write ‘Buy Now’ but add some style to your words. For example, add a sentence before it like, ‘Click here to buy now.’
- b) Send emails regularly but don’t send them too frequently because people start marking them as spam if they come more than three times a week.
- c) Use full URL when sending promotional emails and always opt-in for a double opt-in process because single opt-in leads users to do phishing which can harm the reputation of your brand name.
4) Conversion Rate
This metric shows how successful email marketing campaigns are compared to the total number of people who opened emails. For example – if you have sent 100 emails out of which 50% (i.e., 50) people open the email, your conversion rate would be 50/100 = 0.5 or 50%. So, to increase conversions, you need to keep some points in mind:
- a) Avoid using promotional language in emails because it creates a negative image among users, and they start considering your brand name as spammy.
- b) Always attach a precise call-to-action phrase with every email campaign so that recipients don’t get confused about their next step once they have opened the email. This is one of the primary reasons for a decrease in conversion rates.
- c) Use proper images and logos for links instead of just text; otherwise, readers won’t understand them properly, which decreases chances of converting leads into sales.
- d) Make sure you have a style guide in place because it will allow users to understand what your brand name stands for.
These email marketing campaigns metric shows the number of times email recipients have chosen the ‘unsubscribe’ option while registering on your website or buying products from your eCommerce store. So, try to keep some points in mind –
- a) Always include an unsubscribe link so that people who don’t need promotional emails from you anymore can easily remove themselves from your mailing list without wasting their time going through a long process under ‘settings.’
- b) Try using trusted sender lists instead of purchased lists because purchased lists may contain spam messages, and users are likely to them as junk mail.
- c) Avoid using promotional language in emails and opt-in process of double opt-in. Always try to make your email content genuine as it can increase conversions rates if done correctly.